Wednesday, February 19, 2003

Hi again! I have received numerous e-mails about my post on 2/16. Many thanks to all of you who took the time to write. It appears that many of my former opinions were very naive, but it still was interesting to have them refuted by so many people who made some very good points. Almost no one thought the war was about oil. Most stated their belief that Saddam Hussein is a dangerous despot who has repeatedly thumbed his nose at the UN and needs to be removed from power before he starts using weapons of mass destruction. A number of people also supplied documentation showing that the US does NOT import most of our oil from the Mideast. One of the best e-mails came from my website designer. She referred me to www.snopes2.com. If you go to that site and type in "gas stations" in the search engine you will end up on a page with related articles. Scroll down the entries and you will find a succinct but detailed rebuttal to the "Gasoline Solution" e-mail I posted in my last entry. I had to smile ruefully when I read it because it so THOROUGHLY decimated the significance of that e-mail. I'm smiling again right now. Even my cat is shaking his head. He likes to read over my shoulder.
I'm still not a war supporter, but I do see that there are many more angles to this issue than I took into account. At the same time I'm not an avowed peace advocate either. One of the reasons we in the US can express our opinions and criticize the government is because the men and women in our military have been willing to fight to preserve our right to do so.

No comments: