Sunday, March 23, 2003

Hello. I was on www.msn.com earlier looking at photos of the war coverage. They are very, very gripping and powerful. Although I'm somewhat conflicted about the US policy that has sent our troops to the Middle East, I am so proud of and so grateful to the men and women of the US military who are there fighting for our country. Needless to say, my sentiments extend to the troops from the UK and Australia who are right there fighting with us.
Yesterday when I drove to work I was listening to news coverage of anti-war rallies. It brought up a bunch of mixed feelings in me. In the Saturday, March 21 edition of the Los Angeles Times there were photos of anti-war demonstrators in San Francisco who were wearing masks and concealing their faces. That really disgusted me. Of course they are entitled to express their opinions, but why do they hide their identities if they mean what they are saying? Are they afraid of getting hurt, going to jail, or suffering consequences at their jobs? We have soldiers risking their lives and dying for our country right now, and these morons in San Francisco are scared to stand behind their words and actions in their own homeland.
Granted, much of what makes the US great is due to our constitutionally protected rights of freedom of speech and freedom of expression, but some of these anti-war demonstrators have really touched a nerve with me. Maybe some of my emotions are irrational, but I feel that now is the time to support our troops in any way possible. We're already at war and I think all Americans should show respect for our military and our Commander-in-Chief by not wreaking needless havoc in the streets of our cities. Quiet, peaceful demonstrations can get the point across. The people kicking cars, disrupting traffic, damaging property, and taxing our police forces are not accomplishing anything worthwhile.
There was a rally in Columbus, Ohio on Friday in which people gathered to donate toothpaste, shaving cream, and other supplies for our soldiers. Those are the type of people who make me proud to be an American.

No comments: