Sunday, May 08, 2005

Good morning,

I need to get on my soapbox right now so this is probably a good opportunity for you to stop reading. It's necessary for me to expunge my emotions from my system so I can put my annoyance behind me and enjoy my Sunday.

In the Sunday paper this morning an author of a new book is quoted as saying that she returned to live with her parents because she had no job and no interest in working at a local coffeeshop. The reason that irritated me is because I hear people making similar comments all the time. It is as if they think there is shame in an honest job. They should feel lucky that they live in a country with so many jobs and such abundant opportunity. When did it become preferable for people to remain unemployed rather than take a paying job that may not be the position of their dreams? If they are determined to do so they will eventually get the job of their dreams and there's no excuse for being a lazy sloth in the meantime.

I can understand people wanting to live with their parents, but I just can't fathom why able-bodied adults choose to sit on their butts and let their parents pay all the bills. My parents and I never got along, but in a way I'm glad that I never had the option of returning to their home and sitting idle. I've worked full-time since I was 17 because there was always that specter of the homeless shelter looming in my future as the alternative :)

-- XXOO Tanya

No comments: