Sunday, May 04, 2003

Good evening! There's a great site at www.alysabeth.com. On it, there are a number of candid, interesting, and well-written essays by Alysabeth Clements. She is a stripper who has some things to say and she says them well. Anyone who has any curiousity about the strip club scene here in the US will find her site well worth visiting.

Earlier tonight I enjoyed one of her posts. If you are ever a strip club patron, no matter how rarely, you should go to www.alysabeth.com and read "The Perfect Patron: Strip Joint Pointers." If you are not someone who is guilty of the offending behavior she describes then you will find her essay very amusing. Should you by chance become indignant while reading her words then YOU are indeed the very person her article was intended to educate. She lists a number of customer transgressions that exotic dancers alternately gripe and joke about all over North America. Even the dreaded, disgusting "blowing" tactic is included.

Alysabeth's tenets of club behavior should be posted on the walls of all strip joints. Or maybe placed on each table and in front of every stool at the bar. If I owned a club I would have the security guys pass out fliers containing these pointers at the door. By the way, before she expands upon each breach of etiquette Alysabeth does mention that many guys in the clubs are probably just not aware that they are being annoying or rude. That's why her helpful hints are so important. A lot of customers might be abashed if they really knew how common their blunders are, and how irritating they are to the dancers. Those are the decent people who just need to be informed.

Long ago, however, I realized that some men intentionally say rude, insulting things to me at the club because they think it will get my attention. Au contraire. There's no insult that I haven't heard already. Try and think of one. I'd probably give you a cash reward if you did come up with something new; I'd marvel at your creativity. All the same, though, I would still know that you are an insecure dickhead with an inferiority complex. It's not my problem that you didn't get a date to the prom or your ex-girlfriend dumped you. Remember.... I never did anything to you, and I wouldn't come to YOUR job, inflict my presence on YOU, and vomit up a torrent of stupid blather all over your person.

Let me say here that most clubgoers are polite and respectful, and can appreciate the beautiful display of sexuality and confidence that many dancers exude. All dancers, myself included, appreciate these customers immensely. There's a small percentage of strip joint patrons, though, who would be better served by turning their critical eyes on their own behavior. I enjoyed Alysabeth's essay so much because she touches on a number of things that most strippers have encountered time and time again at work. If the subject interests you, please do go check out her site. Have a good night!

No comments: