Friday, May 07, 2004

Hello,
I'm getting ready for work today. Lots of coverage about the abuse of Iraqi war prisoners is on the radio. Not that anyone cares about my political views, but I did want to take a moment to write a word in support of our soldiers.

It's not possible for anyone to condone the instances of abuse. In a perfect world there would be no abuse, but in a perfect world there would be no war. Yesterday I saw a red SUV driving on the street with a hand-printed sign reminding fellow drivers of the bodies of Americans that were burned and paraded through the streets of Iraq. Two wrongs don't make a right, but our soldiers are under unimaginable pressure during wartime. Particularly with images of desecrated American bodies lingering in their minds. It would be impossible for our country to maintain uniformly humane treatment in the prison camps. That does not excuse servicemen who have gone way too far with the abuse. I'm not sure how they should be punished, but I fail to be outraged by the accounts of mistreatment that I have heard. That is a harsh statement, but war is very ugly. I can't even imagine the extent of the daily horrors our troops are facing. Even the best among them could potentially succumb to a depraved impulse.

Action by top military officials should be taken to curb the abuses, but all of us sitting comfortably at home need to keep in mind that our soldiers are only human and some horrible transgressions are bound to occur during wartime. I know that just about all Americans are proud of our military and keep them in our hearts in this difficult time. God Bless all of you.

-- XXOO Tanya

No comments: