Friday, October 21, 2005


Good afternoon,

There is no good reason to put this on the front page of my site, but the headline of the story below jumped out at me from the "breaking news" section of www.msn.com and I found it much more amusing than I should have. In fact, I am still smiling.

Of course I've been wondering for awhile what happened to the cop from the Village People. Haven't we all? You can imagine my astonishment at finding out that he is smoking crack and toting guns around the very area where I spent much of my youth:



Village People Cop No-Show in Court

Oct 21, 9:03 AM EST
The Associated Press

REDWOOD CITY, Calif. -- Victor Willis, the original policeman in the 1970s music group the Village People, was being sought after failing to show up Thursday for a sentencing in a drug case, authorities said.
Willis, who co-wrote disco hits such as "Macho Man" and "In the Navy," was arrested in July after police found a gun and what was believed to be crack cocaine in his car after a traffic stop.
He was scheduled to be sentenced Thursday morning in San Mateo County Superior Court, but failed to show up. The judge issued arrest warrants for a probation violation and for the drug case, a clerk said.
Willis also had an outstanding felony warrant for possession of narcotics, police said.
His attorney, Kenneth Quigley, told the San Francisco Chronicle that Willis left a message with him Wednesday night saying he couldn't attend the hearing.
"He is scheduled for surgery. That's really as much as I know," Quigley told the newspaper.
The songwriter and performer left the Village People in the late 1970s.

------


Ay caramba..say it isn't so, Victor! Well, then again, perhaps it's not so surprising. Victor and his crew were popular during a pretty racy era. Was he smoking rock back then? I don't believe that crack was around in the 70's, but I also did not think that "Macho Man" and "In the Navy" were two separate songs. For all these years I've believed there was one disturbing but festive masterpiece about macho men in the Navy and at the YMCA.

I've been wrong about plenty of stuff. And now, upon further scrutiny of the photograph to the left, I'm not even sure which one of these dudes is the cop. Is Victor the guy to the far right with the jaunty police cap and handlebar mustache? (You know, the same outfit you wore last Halloween.) Or is he the black guy at the top wearing what looks like a California Highway Patrolmen's helmet?


-- XXOO Tanya

No comments: