Friday, January 02, 2004

Good evening,
I hope everyone had a nice New Year's holiday. I did nothing on New Year's Eve, but went to my favorite bar in Hermosa Beach on New Year's Day. They had more of a crowd than they expected. This is a place that is known locally for discriminatory business practices. If you are under 60 the staff does not want you there. I've written about this place on the Playhouse Bulletin Board. The bar is phenomenal. It is located on what would easily qualify as the most expensive beachfront parcel in the city. The owner is by all accounts a grumpy old codger who refuses to sell the place or turn it into a trendy establishment. One of my roommates was thrown out of there a few years ago because the ancient bartender refused to accept his US passport as valid ID. This bar hearkens back to the time when Hermosa Beach was a rundown beach city. The same staff who worked there in the 1940's still works there now. My roommates and I have gone there for enough years that now we are allowed to hang with the geriatric set because we have proven that we are not too young and punkish. We appreciate the beauty of the place.
It was the perfect venue at which to spend the first day of the new year. Happy New Year to all!!! -- XXOO Tanya

No comments: